More road safety upgrades in QLD to support up to 950 local jobs

Monica Gameng   |   January 20, 2021

The Australian and Queensland Governments are jointly investing approximately $300 million as additional funds to deliver new road safety upgrades as well as jobs across the State. 

Under the first tranche of the $2 billion Road Safety Program, the Australian Government has approved $225 million in funding for Queensland while the State Government will be providing $64.6 million. 

According to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack, the additional works covered by the new funding injection are required to begin and finish by 30 June 2021. 

“This funding will deliver key lifesaving improvements such as shoulder sealing, rumble strips to alert drivers they are moving out of their lane, median treatments to prevent head-on collisions and barriers to prevent run-off-road crashed and protect against roadside hazards. 

“This is all about getting Queenslanders home sooner and safer whilst we also create more jobs during this difficult economic time,” Minister McCormack said. 

The additional road safety upgrades are expected to support up to 950 jobs in Queensland. 

Minister McCormack added that communities in Rockhampton will benefit from the projects which includes intersection upgrades and roadside widening on the Bruce Highway at Nielsen Avenue as well as from projects that improve safety on several sections of the Bruce Highway. 

Over the next six months, the additional funding will deliver another 87 projects across Queensland and provide safer roads for families, industries and businesses. 

“Last year was one of the worst when it comes to number lives lost on our roads – so to be able to make our roads safer sooner while also supporting employment in our regional communities is a great outcome as we enter the new year. 

“These projects will add to the record $26.9 billion in roads and transport projects being delivered by the Queensland Government over the next four years, and our real jointly-funded $12.6 billion Bruce Highway plan,” Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Ryan said. 

Road safety has been a key priority for the Australian Government and this investment in road improvements will provide a significant boost to the economy and will get Australians home sooner and safer. 

“Making our roads safer is a critical component of our work to reduce deaths and serious injuries on our roads and move towards achieving Vision Zero – or no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. 

“Projects are already underway through the $500 million Targeted Road Safety COVID-19 stimulus package and this additional funding complements that work, resulting in an even greater roll-out of improved infrastructure and roads right across the nation,” Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said. 

Under the additional funding, intersections across Queensland that have a high crash history will be made safer, roads will be widened and more dirt roads will be sealed. 

“These types of projects play an important part in supporting our industries right across Queensland, in particular those industries that rely on our regional roads to transport goods. 

“The works will give new opportunities for businesses as we continue to recover from COVID-19 and spark more jobs in industries like construction, traffic management and engineering,” Queensland Assistant Regional Roads Minister Bruce Saunders said. 

Federal Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry said that she is pleased to see vital road safety projects – both small and large – in Central Queensland covered by the new funding injection. 

“All of the works undertaken will mean better and safer roads, including improving lighting and widening busy roads to ease traffic congestion and hazards. 

“Rockhampton is the gateway to northern Australia, and we are committed to investing much-needed funds in ensuring the safety of our roads,” Ms Landry said. 

The joint funding will deliver upgrades to Central Queensland roads, including the Capricorn Highway and Bruce Highway. 

“With billions of dollars being injected into Queensland’s economy thanks to local businesses and industry, making our supply chain continue to see sustained and additional investment is a welcome outcome for jobs and for the thousands of families who live here,” Queensland Member for Rockhampton Barry O’Rourke said. 

Investment from the Australian Government for the Road Safety Program will deliver lifesaving improvements on regional roads that will protect vulnerable road users across the State as well as support local jobs and provide a much-needed boost to local economies. 

The additional funding for road improvement works is subject to “use it or lose it” provisions which requires States and Territories to utilise the allocated funds within a given timeframe. Unused funds will be reallocated to projects in other jurisdictions. 

Source: Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development; Industry Queensland; Big Rigs 

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
Work begins on $615m Gawler Rail Line upgrade in SA

Construction is now underway on the electrification and modernisation of South Australia’s Gawler Rail Line and the $615 million project is anticipated to deliver up to 250 jobs a year during the delivery phase.

Projects
LendLease to deliver stage one of the $615m Gawler Electrification project

LendLease has been awarded the contract to build the first stage of the $615 million Gawler Electrification project in South Australia.

Projects
NSW freight rail projects to create up to 500 construction jobs

Two freight rail projects that will help ease congestion on some of Sydney’s busiest roads are being fast-tracked towards construction, with the New South Wales Government approving new detailed plans for both developments.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog.

Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.

✓ updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects

✓ fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders