NSW Govt delivers record $2.1bn investment for the Sydney Train Network

Monica Gameng   |   June 23, 2026
Sydney trains (cr: NSW Government)

As part of its 2026/2027 State Budget, the New South Wales Government is bringing forward a record $2.1 billion investment to deliver maintenance works that will improve reliability and incident response on the Sydney Train Network.

The investment in a new Rail Reliability Plan will deliver:

  • An additional $200 million for network maintenance compared to last year
  • $150 million over four years to deliver improvements at the Rail Operations Centre, including improved incident response and passenger support
  • More train drivers and guards for intercity services, delivering better reliability for passengers travelling between Sydney, the Illawarra, Central Coast, Newcastle, the Blue Mountains and beyond
  • Track, power and signalling improvements

Alongside the delivery of the massive Sydney Metro development, the Minns Labor Government is also investing in the vast, existing heavy rail network that moves more than a million people each weekday, allowing them to travel to work, school, university, appointments and social events.

“Passengers expect a rail system that is reliable, resilient and ready to meet demands of a growing population. This investment will deliver exactly that.

“It will help strengthen the foundations of the entire network, from critical upgrades, through to better incident response, and crucial passenger support.

“Any issues on the metropolitan rail network can have flow-on impacts to reliability and travel times for regional services. Better maintenance on key intercity routes means better outcomes for regional passengers across NSW.

“This investment, on top of the $100 million in joint funding in this Budget for upgrades to the rail corridor between Sydney and Canberra, ensures the entire system can continue to serve passengers for generations,” Minister for Regional Transport Jenny Aitchison said.

This targeted spend on better maintenance, incident management, use of technology and passenger communications is guided by the findings of the Independent Rail Review into the overhead wire failure at Homebush that caused a major two-day chaos for commuters in May last year.

The Review that was delivered by Dr Kerry Schott in 2025 called for better targeted infrastructure maintenance in “critical zones” like the Homebush-Strathfield corridor.

In response, the State Government is delivering an additional $425 million asset renewal program over four years, which will upgrade track, signals, overhead wiring and drainage in flood-prone areas.

“The vast Sydney Train network of 14 lines, 288 stations and more than 1,790 kilometres of track remains the backbone of the rail system and we are investing a record amount to ensure it delivers the reliable service that more than a million passengers a day rightly demand.

“While the former Liberal-National government overlooked the existing train network, we are delivering the targeted maintenance in the critical zones that is needed to improve on-time running.

“The 12 recommendations of the Independent Raul Review remain the blueprint for how we prioritise maintenance, but also deploy new technology, and raise standards around customer care during disruption or communicate to passengers in stations,” Minister for Transport John Graham said.

Meanwhile, a dedicated $35 million reliability program has fast-tracked repairs in high-priority areas where infrastructure failures have the greatest flow-on impact to a lot of passengers across several train lines.

The significant investment in the Rail Operations Centre will help improve incident response as well as customer communication after the former Liberal-National government scrapped plans for a customer information management system due to a $50 million budget overrun before the Centre opened in 2018.

The record investment will also fund a new passenger care and support team who will focus on passenger welfare during major disruptions. The team is being deployed dynamically based on the size and complexity of incidents, supporting customers onboard trains as well as impacted stations and at key interchanges during recovery.

The team will provide clear, face-to-face communication, deliver basic welfare support such as providing water during delays, assist vulnerable passengers, and help people continue their journeys via alternative transport options.

“This investment strengthens reliability end-to-end – from upgrading critical infrastructure through to improving incident response, crewing and passenger support.

“Enhancements at the Rail Operations Centre will deliver better decision-making across the network and improve incident response capability.

“Importantly, the Passenger Care & Support team will ensure we are looking after our customers during disruptions, providing clear information and practical support when it matters most,” Chief Executive of Sydney Trains Matt Longland said.

New trains are vital to boosting network reliability, and the New South Wales Government has introduced the first new intercity trains in almost two decades, with the Mariyung now in service on the Central Coast and Newcastle Line, Blue Mountains Line and South Coast Line.

With the new trains now online, this allowed older trains to be retired and others to be refurbished for use on Sydney lines.

“This is a significant step forward in strengthening the operational foundations of the rail network.

“We know reliability depends on more than just the recent investments to fleet and infrastructure; it depends on having well-resourced, well-coordinated workforce supported by strong planning and decision-making.

“This funding enables a more integrated approach to operations – from workforce planning through to real-time service delivery – reducing risk and improving performance.

“Over time, passengers will see the benefit in more consistent services and a network that is better equipped to handle disruption,” Transport Secretary Josh Murray said.

Source: NSW Government – Media Releases; Infrastructure Magazine; Roads & Infrastructure Australia

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 3,000 posts to date. She truly is an industry expert!
Follow me:

Recent Articles

Neoen's Narrogin Wind Farm now under construction
Projects, WA
Neoen's Narrogin Wind Farm now under construction

Construction has commenced on Neoen’s 179MW Narrogin Wind Farm in Western Australia, following the signing of a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with State-owned Synergy for 100 per cent of the wind farm’s generation.

Construction begins to rehabilitate San Remo Bridge in VIC
Projects, VIC
Construction begins to rehabilitate San Remo Bridge in VIC

The Allan Labor Government is getting on with protecting the vital connection to Phillip Island, with works now underway to restore the San Remo Bridge.

Additional $250m investment committed to Bandon Road Upgrade
Projects, NSW
Additional $250m investment committed to Bandon Road Upgrade

The New South Wales Government is committing an additional $250 million in the 2026-27 State Budget to get the ball rolling on the priority eastern section of the Bandon Road Upgrade in Sydney’s booming North West.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog. Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.
  • updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects
  • fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

If you're looking to contact us about other matters, please contact us.