Plans revealed for last sections of SA's North-South Corridor Upgrade

Monica Gameng   |   August 12, 2018

The South Australian Government has revealed plans of tunnelling the remaining two sections of the Adelaide’s North-South Corridor. The last two sections under planning are the River Torrens to Anzac Highway and the Anzac Highway to Darlington sections.

Transport Minister Stephen Knoll said that a business case for the tunnels will soon be submitted to Infrastructure Australia for review.

Mr Knoll added that the Australian Government has allotted approximately $1.2 billion to fund the two last sections of the North-South Corridor Upgrade.

“We’ve now got a significant funding commitment from the Federal Government and we are moving quickly to get these projects off the ground as soon as possible,” Mr Knoll said.

A tender has been opened to investigate the tunnelling of the River Torrens to Anzac Highway and Anzac Highway to Darlington sections of the North-South Corridor, and the final business cases for the two sections are expected to be submitted by the end of the year.

Adelaide’s North-South Corridor is a vital transport route for north and southbound traffic, which includes freight transport running between Gawler and Old Noarlunga.

This major upgrade project is set to provide an effective and efficient route that will be able to cater to even large freight carriers travelling along the corridor.

According to the SA Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure: “The Australian and South Australian Governments are working collaboratively to expand the route by creating a dedicated non-stop North-South Corridor.”

Earlier this year, the green light was given for the development of the $354 million Regency Road to Pym Street section of the North-South Corridor. Construction on this section is expected to commence in 2019.

What do you think of the plan of tunnelling the last two sections of the North-South Corridor in SA? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Don’t forget to subscribe to Felix Project News today to stay up to date with the latest industry news and project updates.

Source: Inside Construction; News.com.au; Government of South Australia DPTI

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
EOIs open for northern sections of VIC's M80 Ring Road Upgrade

Victoria’s M80 Ring Road Upgrade has marked a new milestone with Expressions of Interest now open for submission to deliver two northern sections of the highway.

Projects
VIC's North East Link corridor options revealed

The Victorian Government has unveiled the four potential corridor options for the North East Link, which will complete the missing link in Melbourne’s road network. This project is expected to create more than 5,000 new jobs during its delivery.

Projects
Green light given to new $354m North-South Corridor project in SA

Construction on the next stage of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor - between Regency Road and Pym Street - is expected to commence in 2019, with the Australian and South Australian Governments committing $177 million each for the project.

Get the latest project news

Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.

✓ updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects

✓ fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

Complete the form to get started