QLD Govt to invest $2.4bn in CopperString 2032

Monica Gameng   |   June 16, 2025

The Queensland Government is reinforcing its commitment to delivering CopperString by investing $2.4 billion in the upcoming State Budget – an increase of $1.4 billion from last year’s Budget. 

“Our word matters and when we said we’re saving CopperString we meant it. 

“We’re committed to delivering investment and economic growth across the State, including our minerals-rich North West. 

“We’ll continue to draw upon the expertise of QIC in assessing the project, including private sector investment. 

“We’ll continue to work with local government to ensure CopperString delivers for North Queensland,” Treasurer and Minister for Energy David Janetzki said. 

The delivery of CopperString 2032 is led by Powerlink, and the project involves building 840 kilometres of new electricity transmission line from Mount Isa to near Townsville as well as about 220 kilometres of additional transmission line to connect new renewable energy generators to CopperString. 

The scope of the project includes: 

  • 500kV transmission line from Hughenden to near Townsville 
  • 330kV transmission line from Hughenden to Cloncurry 
  • 220kV transmission line from Cloncurry to Mount Isa 
  • Up to six new substations 
  • Workforce accommodation and facilities in strategic locations along the corridor 

CopperString2032_Map_Sept2024Project map (source: Powerlink)

Construction commenced in July 2024 at Hughenden, with the delivery of workforce accommodation and facilities. 

In 2025-26, on-the-ground works will start at the $225 million Hughenden Hub to connect future renewable projects at Flinders to the National Electricity Market. Powerlink will also begin preparing site accommodation across the Eastern Link while, at the same time, overseeing the procurement of transformers, lines and tower steel required to build CopperString. 

The joint venture between UGL and CPB Contractors – both part of the CIMIC Group – is the construction partner for CopperString 2032. 

Source: Queensland Government – Media Statements; Powerlink (1, 2

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 3,000 posts to date. She truly is an industry expert!
Follow me:

Recent Articles

Large-scale festival & events site in the Sunshine Coast approved for development
Projects, QLD
Large-scale festival & events site in the Sunshine Coast approved for development

A new outdoor music festival and exhibition event site has been approved by the Crisafulli Government for development at Coochin Creek on the Sunshine Coast, near Caloundra.

Construction begins on new container depot at the Port of Mackay
Projects, QLD
Construction begins on new container depot at the Port of Mackay

A 1.3-hectare container depot is now under construction at the Port of Mackay in Queensland as part of the Crisafulli Government’s plan to deliver a better lifestyle through a stronger economy.

Procurement underway for Tarraleah hydropower scheme redevelopment
Projects, TAS
Procurement underway for Tarraleah hydropower scheme redevelopment

A major milestone has been reached in Hydro Tasmania’s plan to redevelop the iconic Tarraleah hydropower scheme with the first stage of construction tender kicking off.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog. Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.
  • updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects
  • fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

If you're looking to contact us about other matters, please contact us.