Tenders called for $450m project on Newcastle Inner City Bypass NSW

Monica Gameng   |   October 2, 2021
Rankin Park to Jesmond section (cr: Transport for NSW)

The fifth section of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass in New South Wales – between Rankin Park and Jesmond – is progressing well with the release of tenders for major construction of the $450 million project. 

The project is jointly funded by the Australian and New South Wales Governments, with the former contributing $360 million as part of its record $110 billion 10-year infrastructure pipeline while the latter has committed $90 million. 

“The Federal Government is committed to busting congestion and reducing travel times through this multi-million-dollar investment in the Newcastle Inner City Bypass. 

“Once the bypass is complete, commuters will enjoy up to an 80 per cent reduction in travel times during the morning and afternoon peaks, bypassing 11 sets of traffic lights between Rankin Park and Jesmond,” Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Barnaby Joyce said. 

The Newcastle Inner City Bypass – Rankin Park to Jesmond project is expected to create up to 900 jobs during its construction. 

Earlier this year, Transport for NSW called for registrations of interest for the project and three contractors have been shortlisted, namely John Holland Pty Ltd, Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd and NEWLink – a joint venture between BMD Constructions Pty Ltd and Ditchfield Contracting Pty Ltd. 

The tender process will go on for 12 weeks until 17th December. 

“The Newcastle Inner City Bypass has been designed to remove up to 30,000 vehicles each day from Lookout Road, Croudace Street and Newcastle Road – truly returning local roads to local residents. 

“Utility relocation is continuing at the southern end of the bypass route, with the early works expected to be completed by July 2022,” New South Wales Minister for Transport and Roads Andrew Constance said. 

This section of the project will include the construction of a 3.4-kilometre four-lane divided road that features: 

  • A northern interchange at Newcastle Road 
  • An interchange providing access to John Hunter Hospital precinct 
  • A southern interchange at Lookout Road 
  • Structures provided along the bypass to improve connectivity in the bushland for people and animals 
  • Off-road provisions for pedestrians and cyclists including a shared path bridge over Newcastle Road at Jesmond 

Transport for NSW and NSW Health are working closely to ensure the bypass project aligns with works on the John Hunter Health Innovation Precinct project as well as be able to provide a second access road to the hospital campus. 

“I welcome the Federal Government’s continued commitment alongside the New South Wales State Government to bring this project to fruition,” Senator for New South Wales Hollie Hughes said. 

The contract to deliver the Rankin Park to Jesmond section of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass is anticipated to be awarded early next year and major construction on the project to commence in the second half pf 2022. 

The Newcastle Inner City Bypass is due to open to traffic in 2025. 

Source: Transport for NSW (1, 2); Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development 

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
$450m Silverton Wind Farm in NSW set to begin construction

The $450 million Silverton Wind Farm in western New South Wales is now set to commence construction. The Silverton Wind Farm – set to become the sixth largest wind farm in Australia – is a collaboration project between General Electric (GE), AGL Energy and CATCON.

Projects
Preferred builder announced for $450m Princes Highway Berry to Bomaderry upgrade NSW

The joint venture between Downer and Seymour Whyte has been awarded the contract to build the $450 million Princes Highway Upgrade from Berry to Bomaderry, which will deliver four lanes of new divided road.

Projects
$450m wind farm project in SA begins construction

Nexif Energy has turned the first sod, signalling the beginning of construction on the $450 million Lincoln Gap Wind Farm and battery storage in South Australia.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog.

Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.

✓ updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects

✓ fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

Complete the form to get started