$196m SA Ovingham Level Crossing Removal Project begins construction

Monica Gameng   |   April 10, 2021
Ovingham Level Crossing Removal Project (cr: Department for Infrastructure and Transport)

South Australia's $196 million Ovingham Level Crossing Removal Project is now under construction and one of Adelaide's most frustrating traffic bottlenecks is a step closer to being fixed. 

This significant road upgrade will help improve traffic flow as well as travel times, changing the way South Australians move around Adelaide. 

“The boom gates at this location are currently down for approximately 22 per cent of the time during the combined AM and PM peak periods. 

“Removing the level crossing will not only improve safety but also cut travel times for the 21,300 vehicles on average that pass through the crossing each day,” Federal Minister for Communications, Urban Infrastructure, Cities and the Arts Paul Fletcher MP said. 

The level crossing removal project will include raising Torrens Road over the existing Ovingham level crossing, which means no more waiting for rail services to pass that causes delay to motorists. 

The road-over-rail design is anticipated to provide the best outcome for the community. 

“Out of the options considered, raising the road will improve walkability and create new community open space, as well as have the least disruption for motorists, residents and local businesses. 

“The new road can be mostly constructed off-line, assisting to minimise traffic impacts during construction. 

“Out of 127 at-grade level crossings in Adelaide we’ve identified 31 that pose the highest risk to users and create the greatest disturbances on the network and it's great the initiative has recently been added to the Infrastructure Australia priority list. We're now working to prioritise future projects on the list,” SA Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Corey Wingard MP said. 

Getting works underway on this multi-million-dollar project as well as other critical infrastructure projects will provide a significant boost to the State's COVID-19 economic recovery. 

“Over 265 full-time jobs will be supported each year during the construction of the project at Ovingham, bringing much-needed certainty for local workers and businesses. 

“This milestone is yet another demonstration of the Morrison and Marshall governments working together to support jobs and get South Australians home sooner and safer,” Senator for South Australia and Minister for Finance Simon Birmingham said. 

 

In addition to the delivery of the road-over-rail at Torrens Road, the project will also include elevating the western end of Churchill Road that intersects with Torrens Road – about 100 metres from the level crossing – for it to meet the elevated height of Torrens Road. 

Piling works are set to commence in May and the project is due to be completed in 2023, weather permitting. 

Earlier this year, the consortium between McConnell Dowell Constructors, Mott Macdonald Australia and Arup has been appointed to deliver the $196 million Ovingham Level Crossing Removal Project. 

“The Marshall Liberal Government is delivering a long overdue upgrade that will benefit many people in the local area and surrounds. 

“This project is not only creating vital jobs, it will save valuable waiting and travel times and improve green spaces around the intersection,” State Member for Adelaide Rachel Sanderson MP said. 

Source: Premier of South Australia – Media Releases; Government of South Australia – Department for Infrastructure and Transport; Government of South Australia – Building What Matters 

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 3,000 posts to date. She truly is an industry expert!
Follow me:

Recent Articles

Neoen's Narrogin Wind Farm now under construction
Projects, WA
Neoen's Narrogin Wind Farm now under construction

Construction has commenced on Neoen’s 179MW Narrogin Wind Farm in Western Australia, following the signing of a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with State-owned Synergy for 100 per cent of the wind farm’s generation.

Construction begins to rehabilitate San Remo Bridge in VIC
Projects, VIC
Construction begins to rehabilitate San Remo Bridge in VIC

The Allan Labor Government is getting on with protecting the vital connection to Phillip Island, with works now underway to restore the San Remo Bridge.

Additional $250m investment committed to Bandon Road Upgrade
Projects, NSW
Additional $250m investment committed to Bandon Road Upgrade

The New South Wales Government is committing an additional $250 million in the 2026-27 State Budget to get the ball rolling on the priority eastern section of the Bandon Road Upgrade in Sydney’s booming North West.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog. Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.
  • updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects
  • fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

If you're looking to contact us about other matters, please contact us.