Preferred contractor announced for $400m Ipswich Motorway Upgrade

Monica Gameng   |   April 19, 2017

A new milestone has been reached for the $400 million Ipswich Motorway Upgrade from Rocklea to Darra Stage 1, with the contract to deliver the project awarded to Brisbane-based Bielby Hull Albem Joint Venture.

“I’m pleased to announce Stage 1 of the Ipswich Motorway upgrade between Rocklea and Darra is one step closer to construction.

“The Ipswich Motorway is currently a major source of frustration for more than 85,000 motorists who use this section of the motorway daily, including up to 12,000 trucks,” said Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

According to the Premier, this project will improve safety and travel times for all motorists going through the Rocklea to Darra section of the motorway as well as support up to 470 direct jobs for local businesses and workers.

Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure Paul Fletcher stated that this project is delivering on a commitment to upgrade the motorway.

“This major infrastructure project will upgrade the Ipswich Motorway from four to six lanes along a three kilometre stretch between Rocklea and Oxley and delivers on a commitment made by the Federal Government.

“The commercial vehicles and local commuters who travel this road on a daily basis will experience improved travel times and motorway capacity into the industrial heart of Brisbane,” Mr Fletcher said.

This project will include:

  • Upgrading the motorway from four to six lanes
  • Constructing higher bridges over Oxley Creek and seven new bridges
  • A new southern service road connection from Rocklea's industrial precinct to the Oxley commercial and retail areas
  • A new northern service road connection over Oxley Creek floodplain
  • New traffic signals at the Suscatand Street intersection

According to Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports Mark Bailey, the State Government has invested $200 million to deliver the much needed upgrade for South East Queensland. Mr Bailey also said that the winning contractor – the Bielby Hull Albem Joint Venture – will commence the detailed design of the upgrade and will begin works on-site later in 2017.

“Focusing on improving the motorway’s flood immunity, work will include constructing higher bridges over the Oxley Creek area, which will see a more reliable, safer motorway through Oxley and Rocklea, improving productivity and benefiting all South East Queenslanders.

“Importantly, this upgrade will see motorists spending more time at home with their loved ones, not stuck in congestion during their daily commutes,” Mr Bailey said.

Weather permitting, the Ipswich Motorway Upgrade from Rocklea to Darra Stage 1 is expected to be completed by 2020.

Watch this space for the latest industry news and project updates by subscribing to Felix Project News.

Source: Queensland Government

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
EOI's invited for Stage One of $400m Ipswich Motorway: Rocklea to Darra project

The Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads is seeking to enter into an Early Contractor Involvement procurement process for the $400 million Ipswich Motorway – Rocklea to Darra Stage 1 project. In an annoucemenet last week, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk released the invitations to industry to bid for the work on one of South East Queensland's most significant road projects.  

Projects
Two tenderers shortlisted to build $400m Ipswich Motorway Upgrade

Two tenderers have been shortlisted for the design and construction of the $400 million Ipswich Motorway Upgrade from Rocklea to Darra Stage 1 and the contract is expected to be awarded in the coming months.

Projects
Approved $400m lithium plant in Kwinana to create up to 500 jobs

The proposed $400 million lithium processing plant in Kwinana has been given the go-ahead by the Liberal National Government. West Perth-based MSP Engineering was also announced as the head contractor after leading the feasibility study for the project.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog.

Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.

✓ updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects

✓ fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

Complete the form to get started