Works underway on Stawell to SA border section of the Western Highway

Monica Gameng   |   January 14, 2018

Works have commenced on a $20 million upgrade to the Western Highway – between Stawell and the South Australian border. Once completed, the upgrade will provide a safer and more reliable journey for all motorists.

According to Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Barnaby Joyce, the Western Highway is one of the State’s busiest highways and it is the main road link between Melbourne and Adelaide.

“The Western Highway serves as a key transport corridor through Victoria’s western district and upgrading this section of the highway will significantly improve safety for all users including farming, tourism and manufacturing interests,” Minister Joyce said.

State Minister for Roads and Road Safety Luke Donnellan said the works will help improve the reliability and safety on the section of the Western Highway between Stawell and the South Australian border.

“Drivers have already seen the benefits of the 55 kilometres of the highway that’s already been duplicated and we’ll continue to build a better Western Highway to support local communities and jobs throughout Western Victoria,” Mr Donnellan said.

Federal Member for Mallee Andrew Broad said that the upgrade – once completed – will significantly reduce the number of serious accidents on this section of the Western Highway.

“Between 2012 and 2017, there were 102 crashes on the Western Highway between Stawell and the South Australian border, including seven fatalities and 52 serious injuries, which demonstrates why these upgrades are a major priority for the Australian Government,” Mr Broad said.

This project is jointly funded by the Australian and Victorian Governments. Early works have already commenced, with major construction set to begin by mid-January 2018. The project is expected to be completed by 2020.

Just last week, it was announced that works on the Western Highway duplication between Buangor and Ararat is also set to restart this month.

Watch this space for the latest industry news, trends and project updates by subscribing to Felix Project News today.

Source: Premier of Victoria

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
UGL wins $200m worth of contracts in oil and gas sector in VIC and WA

CIMIC Group company UGL Limited has secured more work contracts with a total value of approximately $200 million. The contracts are for the extension of supply maintenance and turnaround services for clients in the oil and gas sector in Western Australia and Victoria.

Projects
Monadelphous secures $200m worth of works in the east coast

Perth-based engineering contractor Monadelphous Group has secured $200 million worth of works in the east coast which includes two major contracts in the water infrastructure market.

Projects
UGL secures $296m worth of contracts in utilities & renewables sectors

CIMIC Group company UGL starts the new year strong with the announcement of new design, engineering, procurement and construction contracts in the utilities and renewables sectors in Queensland and South Australia. 

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog.

Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.

✓ updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects

✓ fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

Complete the form to get started